Tuesday, June 11, 2013

killing the giants


It's mid third week here on project and Mission beach is sure starting to feel like home. It's really sweet to see how God is working. Between job searching, beach evangelism, speakers, campus ministry, tight living quarters, and developing friendships it is so apparent that God is present. 

Sunday night we had our third project meeting and we were challenged with this week's theme: Killing the Giants. We all have Goliaths in our lives, those big struggles that we need to surrender, and because Jesus has gone before us on the cross we are able to fight and conquer our battles because He is so much bigger!

One thing for me is that I really want to be trusting God when we go out on campus and around the community sharing. When it comes to going up to random strangers I don’t generally get too nervous so sometimes I think that can become a pride issue for me. I want to make sure that I don’t let that cause me to rely on my own efforts rather than relying on the power of Christ. I’m being reminded that it’s not about what I say or do. After all, neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth (1 Corinthians 3:6).

The results really are incredible when we let God have control and rely on his spirit. Yesterday was our second time on the UCSD campus and I was really praying that God would open doors, give us boldness, and speak through us. Guess what? He provided four opportunities for my friend Melanie and I to share the Gospel!  

One of the conversations we had was with a girl who grew up muslim. Before talking to her I really didn’t know much about the muslim religion so it was cool how we were able to ask her questions about what she believed and understand where she was coming from before sharing what we believed with her. We shared the Gospel and she had a lot of questions for us and was so willing to talk. She asks some tough questions that definitely stretched both Melanie and I but it was awesome to see how the Holy Spirit gave us the words to say. We got her contact info and invited her to our DNA group that meets every week on campus so we'll hopefully be able to meet up with her again!

On another note, this past week has mainly consisted of one thing: job searching. What a process! It's been nothing short of frustration and discouragement, thats for sure. This has been one of the most challenging things for me here so far but I’m continuing to persevere! We have one more week to find a job before we start doing volunteer work instead. We’ll see what God has in store! He always provides and I know he's up to great things for each one of us here. 


The San Diego Summer Project 2013 Crew!
So many wonderful people. 
The beautiful sunset I was blessed to watch as I spent my
quiet time on the beach last night!

No comments:

Post a Comment